Down to the final week, and this is how we look:
- AL East. Toronto gained a half game to go four up on the Evil Empire. This week:
- Toronto: Four @ Baltimore, three @ Tampa.
- New York (4 GB): Four vs. Boston, three @ Baltimore.
Advantage: Toronto. If they give up a four game lead with seven games left and not playing the Yankees then there’s no deserving it.
- AL West. Texas is up 2.5 games on Houston, and three on Anaheim, but they have lost two in a row, while Anaheim appears to be surging a bit. But how funny would it be if Josh Hamilton could somehow get in and ruin it for Anaheim?
- Texas: Three vs. Detroit, four vs. Anaheim
- Houston: Three @ Seattle, Three @ Arizona
- Anaheim: Three vs. Oakland, four @ Texas
Advantage: Texas, but I’m not confident on this. I can see Oakland hurting Anaheim – and if Oakland takes two of three the wind may be taken out of Anaheim’s sails at least for the division. Meanwhile, Houston has no picnic on the road. How funny is it that Houston may very well be rooting for Texas in the final four games?
- AL Wild Card #1. New York has a 4.5 game lead over the #2 WC, so it’s pretty much a lock that the AL Wild Card game will be played in the Bronx, so Scott will be very happy.
- AL Wild Card #2. Houston is BARELY holding on, while Cleveland really hurt Minnesota’s chances though this week Minny can return the favor to Cleveland:
- Houston (#2 Wild Card Leader). Three @ Seattle, Three @ Arizona.
- Anaheim (0.5 GB): Three vs. Oakland, four @ Texas.
- Minnesota (1.5 GB): Four @ Cleveland, Three vs. Kansas City.
- Cleveland (4 GB): Four vs. Minnesota, three vs. Boston.
Advantage: Anaheim. Anaheim is 8-2 in their last ten, and they get Oakland at home to start the week, but beware, Oakland always plays Anaheim tough!!! To make matters worse, Anaheim sucks on the road and they have to finish with four in Texas, who may still have something to play for in those final four.
Speaking of sucking on the road, Houston is 29-46 on the road and their final six are – wait for it – on the road. I have a bad feeling that this might not end well for Jeff’s team.
Yeah, I’ve been riding their jock all season, but right now Minnesota has an incredible opportunity and the schedule falls into their favor with a desperate Cleveland and particularly with Kansas City who is bound to be resting when they come in for the final series. I want Minny to get that spot, but no matter what happens, Minny should be justifiably proud of what they accomplished.
- NL Central. St. Louis has a three game lead over Pittsburgh, and how funny is it that right now Chicago is just kicking back waiting to see how this ends?
- St. Louis: Three @ Pittsburgh, three @ Atlanta.
- Pittsburgh: Three vs. St. Louis, three vs. Cincinnati.
Advantage: St. Louis, who really only needs to take one game against Pittsburgh because you have to figure that they will KILL Atlanta if they need the games. But St. Louis had better not get swept in Pittsburgh.
Random Thoughts. Well, the Dodgers started sucking a bit early (3-7 over their last ten), either that or they rested their players too early. Kansas City hasn’t exactly been lighting the world on fire either. What’s up with these two?