Saturday I read an interesting article from GQ magazine featuring SF Giants Catcher Buster Posey, part of which was asking his take on the “Make Baseball fun again” debate which appears to be newsworthy. He believes that the game should be fun, but an opponent should never cross a line by being disrespectful. I agree, don’t disrespect your opponent, and while I personally can’t stand the bat flip, I also understand that I and many others may have thin skin.
But here’s my take – THE PLAYERS HAVE IT WRONG!!! You’re arguing a minor point and missing the big one: It isn’t about unwritten rules, and respect or disrespect – that’s some ignorant crap in the players heads.
Baseball is fun again!!! The reason Baseball is fun again because:
- There are more competitive teams. Baseball isn’t all about Boston and New York anymore – it’s nationwide.
- There is no drama – you watch it for the game – not the bullshit.
- There is one heck of a youth movement.
Bringing back the Nine thoughts from MLB.
- I don’t know who it was, but somebody who likes the Yankees clubhouse decided it would be a good idea to call the Oakland A’s a bunch of minor leaguers and put that comment on Yankees media guy Michael Kay. Well, if the A’s are Minor Leaguers, what are the Yanks after Oakland went into the Bronx and swept em? To be fair, Kay has denied this, and supposedly said something about the lack of depth in the A’s farm system to not have an extra infielder with the ball club.
- Jake Arrieta throws his second no-no and that deserves respect and congratulations.
- Alex Gordon out in Kansas City is freaking incredible, robbing Justin Upton of a double, possibly a triple.
- MLB set up this yearly vote of who is the best MLB stadium. This finals had Kansas City vs. Pittsburgh. I only wish that when I was in Pittsburgh that the Pirates were there so I could have checked it out. What do you think?
- Give the devil their due, the Los Angeles Dodgers ALWAYS find the great pitchers. The rookie Kenta Maeda’s first four games, he’s only given up one run. This kid is amazing. He’s now 3-0 with a 0.36 ERA.
- Not that ESPN gives a damn what I think, but my voice is one of a growing grumble of this constant Boston and New York coverage on their Sunday Night package – and make no mistake that sentiment is growing. I mean, this week there was Texas @ CWS, Baltimore @ KC, Pittsburgh @ Arizona, and you choose to show Boston @ Houston?
- Does Yankee play-by-play guy get royalties for EVERYBODY replaying his “THHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA…YANKEES…WIN?” Good Lord, this cat gets more run with that. Oh, and it’s annoying. Wonder if it would be “cool” if he played his schtick in Colorado 81 games per year?
- Oakland took it’s first road loss Saturday. That’s right, Oakland is now 7-2 through Saturday on the road, best in MLB – BY FAR!!! Yes folks, you read that right – the Oakland A’s!!!
- The NL West needs to stop messing around before they spot the Dodgers an insurmountable lead.