Baseball Trade Season.
- San Francisco traded for Minnesota all-star SS Eduardo Nunez who paid IMMEDIATE dividends by smacking two RBIs and giving SF a HUGE win. It solves three problems for SF: hitting, depth and speed – Nunez has stole 26 bases and has a .300 BA. Meanwhile Minnesota gets some pitching that can be developed in the form of Adalberto Mejia (#7 prospect in Giants organization). Good deal for both sides.
- Washington got Mark Melacon out of Pittsburgh for two players I’ve never heard of. That’s huge.
- Milwaukee Catcher Jonathan Lucroy vetoed a trade from Milwaukee to Cleveland. Uh…
- Meanwhile, Cleveland got Andrew Miller out of New York and almost everybody this morning is using the term “all in” while referring to Cleveland. Be careful though Cleveland, you built a lead with what you have, don’t mess with the chess board too much…
- San Diego traded Matt Kemp to Atlanta for Hector Olivera, but what I’ve noticed in the two trades San Diego was involved in is that they’re giving cash to teams as part of the deal. If they are that rich they can give cash to others, why can’t they build a freaking squad?
- Miami got in on San Diego’s apparent fire sale by trading Andrew Cashner, Coliin Rea, Tayron Guerrero, and cash for IF Josh Naylor, RHPs Jarred Cosart, Carter Capps and Luis Castillo..
Meanwhile who is going to pick up Cincinnati big bat Jay Bruce? He’s smacking the cover off the ball, and lot of talk that San Francisco was going after him. Hey, if they can’t get him, bite the bullet and call Oakland about Josh Reddick as insurance for oft-injured Hunter Pence.
And what about Chris Sale in Chicago? Quality pitcher. Chicago is a major disappointment this season and it’s clear that a lot of housecleaning needs to happen in the off-season.
MLB on the Field. Last night as I was watching sports, I caught Minnesota’s hot young prospect Byron Buxton just own the game against Chicago White Sox last night. Dude has flat out speed and might be a kid to watch in the future. I wish I could explain it, but here’s the highlights. This kid is gonna be special.
While I’m on slick fielding Center Fielders, this kid Khris Davis out in Oakland is flashing the leather and smacking the ball around while the Green and Gold has won each series since the all-star break.
Hey, the Giants actually won a game. They’ll be happy that we turn the calendars to August tomorrow.
NFL. Well, training camp has opened, and as I excitedly turned on the NFL Network to see what was going on as we transition from quiet off-season to beginning the long march to February, all I got was reports on Dallas (Fat Tony) and New York Jets (Creepy Ryan). Now it could have just been a coinky-dink that they were on every stinking time I turned on Channel 212, but literally I couldn’t watch what was going on. Same with Foxsports.com. Fellas, there’s 32 teams in the league, pay attention!
- Hey Aldon Smith, if it wasn’t you in that video rolling up that fatty while you’re video-ing it (ALLEGEDLY), why are you going to rehab? Why this kid hasn’t been thrown out of the NFL is beyond me.
- Speaking of kids needing to be thrown out, why am I hearing Josh Gordon’s name coming up as a potential valuable piece in Cleveland? It’s just a matter of time folks.
- Houston WR DeAndre Hopkins is holding out. That’s his right, but Deion Sanders, stay out of that mess. You’re not an agent and you don’t represent the team, so you don’t know what is going on. Just shut up. So tired of him yelling for everybody to get paid.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick came back to the Jets, and he said that Prop fans told him to “stop being greedy.”
- Yet another young San Francisco player retired. You can’t tell me there isn’t something going on there. Anthony Davis returning this year after taking a year off makes the questions even more loud.
- Oh, and since it’s late July, we have the obligatory (mandatory apparently) Tim Tebow report. Dude is done media, LET…IT…GO!!!
- And to the dude who decided to test Bill Belichick about if there was a way that Jimmy Garappalo remains the starting QB in Game Five – DUDE WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU? You may think you’re funny or getting good print, but I hope fans turn on your ass.
- And the injury gremlin is already out – Minnesota all-world PR/KR Codarelle Patterson already pulled a hammy? What was this dude doing in the off-season?
- Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie got a contract extension. Good, he deserved it. This dude cleaned up Al Davis mess and made this team into a solid contender while the owner is being a total and complete douche bag, boning the good Oakland fans.
NFL on ESPN. I don’t know how true this is, but with all the housecleaning ESPN is doing (Berman, Ditka, and others gone), there is also a rumor that Tom Jackson may be on the way out the door. That’s not cool. That was the one guy who I really enjoyed listening to what little I watched them. Tommy, if it is your choice, than best of luck to you.