Many will sit here and say that 2016 sucked. I beg to differ. 2016 may have been a damn annoyance with stupid politics, but it 2016 was tremendous for me personally. I got back into the work force, I bowled a 300, and I found out I’m gonna be a grandpa for the first time.
That doesn’t excuse my extended absence and I’m gonna try to get back in here more often. The bottom line here is this no excuses, I was disappointed by Football, and it’s not necessarily a coinky-dink that I cut back on blogging as the NFL took center-stage.
Anyway, “Time stands still for no man”, so welcome Gabbers to my final blog – of 2016. So let’s bust through the final thoughts of 2016, along with my hopes for 2016.
Top 10 Sporting Moments of 2016. My top ten sporting moments from 2016:
- In February, I bowled my first 300 game.
- Iceland’s amazing performance during the Euro Soccer Tournament in June.
- Leicester City winning the Premier League.
- James Harden with 53 points, 16 rebounds, 17 assists tonight.
- San Jose Sharks FINALLY made it to the Stanley Cup.
- Clemson giving Alabama an actual game well into the 4th Quarter.
- Army coming back and beating Navy – FINALLY.
- Villanova taking the March Madness on a last second shot to shock North Carolina.
- Cleveland coming back and defeating Golden State in Game 7 of the NBA finals.
- Chicago and Cleveland giving us a memorable World Series and the Cubbies winning it all, breaking the curse.
Sporting Moment of 2016 – Honorable Mention.
- Vin Scully.
- Kansas City returning a blocked extra point back to regain the lead and beat Atlanta.
- Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott’s performances in their rookie seasons in Dallas.
- Miami Dolphin RB Jay Ajayi having three 200 yard rushing games.
- The speeding up of MLB games.
- The Braves/Marlins Sunday Night game at Fort Bragg.
- Bartolo Colon Home Run vs. San Diego back on May 7th.
- Dee Gordon (Miami Marlins) HR on the first pitch the day after Jose Fernandez death.
- Jimmy Johnson winning his seventh NASCAR Championship.
- Oakland A’s owner leaving.
- Kobe Bryant busting 60 on Utah in the final game of his career on April 13th.
- Visiting the new Kings arena in downtown Sacramento on December 26th.
- My son’s team going 11-0 and being the only undefeated Junior College team in the State of California, followed by his being hired as the Outside Linebacker Coach at the University of California Davis (FCS Big Sky Conference).
Sporting Moment of 2016 – Hall of Shame???
- The NFL as a whole. Massive amounts of commercials covering up for horrific games.
- The NFL having to postpone their Hall of Fame Game in August.
- The San Francisco 49ers, Minnesota Twins, Toronto Maple Leafs, Philadelphia 76ers.
- Jordan Speith choking in Amen corner in the final round of the Masters.
- Ryan Lochte’s behavior at the Rio Olympics.
- Kevin Durant signing with the Golden State Warriors.
- San Diego Padres being shut out the first three games of their MLB season.
- Draymond Green’s kicking opponents.
- The NHL granting a franchise to – LAS VEGAS?
- Cam Newton’s behavior post Super Bowl press conference.
- Minnesota Vikings going from 5-0 to out of the playoffs.
Uncle B.O.B.’s Tour stops – 2016. South Florida in April, Southern California in January, June, September, and November. Reno in February and Monterey in April.
Tour Stops – 2017. Gonna be on the road a lot:
- South Florida
- New York in May
- New Orleans in June
- Portland in September
My final thoughts for 2016. 2016 was a year of extremes in sports. The excitement and exhilaration of the MLB season being capped by an unbelievable World Series and the Cleveland comeback in the NBA Finals. But you take all the good and I honestly can’t think of a single, solitary good thing in the NFL.
Hopes for 2017. My hopes for the upcoming year:
- I’ll be back, re-energized and ready to talk again about positivity in sports.
- That people can put the stupid ass politics to the side and move forward together.
- The NFL and NFLPA work to make the game better, safer, and improve officiating.
- MLB builds on its 2014, 2015, and 2016 successes, and that they solve the debacle in Oakland.
- The NBA gets serious about its officiating and improving their replay booth which has sucked.
- That my wonderful kids continue on their trajectories for their careers.
- That this last year of my wife working goes by fast, we can pay some bills, and take a cool trip on her retirement.
Goals for 2017. I’ve spent the better part of post-Christmas building my plan for 2016, and this is some of what I’ve come up with.
- Drop 20 pounds.
- To get my VFW post a whole hell of a lot more attention.
- To have more fun and just enjoy things.
So as we say goodbye to 2016 and plot and plan our resolutions and plans (err, I meant goals) for 2016, let’s take a minute to enjoy the song that made New Year’s famous:
MAY WE ALL HAVE A PEACEFUL AND PROSPERUS 2017!!!