MLB. The two weeks between the All-Star break and NFL camps opening is time for MLB to shine, and there are some going out of their way to do so, and while ESPN would have you believe that Aaron Judge is the only story in Baseball right now, there’s plenty of others:
The L. A. Dodgers are the hottest team in the league right now going 9-1 over their last ten games. Milwaukee is a close second going 8-2. And suddenly Tampa is getting hot winning their last four games.
Credit to MLB Network for this, but take a look at this stat regarding biggest first half improvements 2017 vs. 2016 win totals:
I personally believe this bodes extremely well for the health of MLB going forward. No, it isn’t the “big markets” we’re talking about here, but it is new faces and markets. If these surprise teams continue to perform, you crawl out of that “regional” rap you earned. Here’s where MLB distinguishes itself from the NFL and NBA – there is actually competition and surprises, not the same ole same ole.
I’ll never be a Dodger fan, but man this Cody Bellinger is something else – hitting for the cycle Saturday? Damn.
I’m gonna be curious if Baltimore pulls the plug and deals RP Zach Britton, and if the talk is true and the Dodgers pull off a trade for this guy, then who in MLB beats them? Better option would be for Baltimore to call down to Washington and say “what can you offer” because it seems to me that they need relief pitching in the worst way.
Oakland swept Cleveland this weekend while San Francisco dropped 2 of 3 to San Diego. Let that sink in. Meanwhile, as Billy Beane trades his closers, he yaps about the A’s needing to hold on to their talent and build a new culture. Real simple Billy – tell your owners, not cry to the fans – they already know! Explain the business behind it.
As crazy as this sounds, the biggest news didn’t even come from the majors, but the minors where a guy named Tim Tebow is in the middle of a hot streak?
Oh, and the only reason that certain talking heads are referring to Baseball as a “regional sport” is because that’s all the national talking heads can do is speak on Boston and New York.
NFL. It is hard for me to believe that in 17 days we will actually have a pre-season game (Cowboys/Cardinals) on a Thursday Night at the Hall of Fame? This coming week is where players start wandering into camp, so the focus is going to shift from MLB to the NFL.
- Ezekiel Elliott. Dude has a decision pending on a possible NFL punishment for something previous and what does this Einstein do? That’s right, he gets involved in a bar incident in Dallas last night. This guy is DARING the Sheriff to screw with him. Be careful what you wish for Zeke…
- Wild speculation that the Raiders would love to bring in retired WR Megatron. One problem – I don’t think Detroit would be accommodating, nor should they unless Oakland gives up something decent.
- Why are some talking heads taking about New England going 19-0? It’s July and it’s a stupid conversation – but I see where networks/writers need something to talk about. Pretty lame if you ask me.
- Being July, we’re hearing the “Johnny Football has been contacted by some teams” smack. Everybody makes mistakes. Everybody deserves a second chance. If the kid has really cleaned his act up (and it’s been a couple of years now) then yeah, bring him in – though personally I would have liked to have seen some actual play – perhaps indoor, perhaps Canada first. The other thing I’d like to see a bit more publicly is this guy going out of his way to warn prospects of the pitfalls of success and media.
- And yeah Shannon Sharpe, you’re right too. Manziel gets a call and Kaepernick can’t get a gig? Kaepernick has a right to say what he believes – no matter how much I disagree. Oh, and by the way, he’s actually out trying to make a difference, and that’s far more than I can say about many many others who run their yaps. Finally, nobody can convince me that there are 93 better QB’s professionally eligible. I’m sorry, I’m not buying that.
- WR Michael Floyd of Minny is gonna serve the first four games suspended for violating the NFL policy on substance abuse. He was a good get for the Vikings, but this doesn’t help them particularly when they need offensive weapons to help Sam Bradford and give Stefon Diggs some breathing room.
- I’m very interested to watch the battle for starting QB out in Denver. Trevor Simiean vs. Paxton Lynch could shape up to be an outstanding battle.
- Here goes Carmelo Anthony again, trying to force a trade. If I’m Houston, I don’t do this deal no matter how much pressure Anthony, CP3, and the media place on me. While it may make sense from many perspectives, it seems to me as if he isn’t a team player and when you’re rolling the dice trying to hang with Golden State, you need TEAM more than you need an alleged superstar, especially one who isn’t exactly known for playing defense, which is something you need against GSW. It’s a lesson CP3 should have learned with the Clippers but obviously didn’t.
- Rajon Rondo’s mystical ride throughout the NBA has landed him in New Orleans to be a “leader” to DeMarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis. Oh boy…I hope the coach in NOLA has a thick skin.
- Big 3 seems to be gaining traction. Not sure yet if it’s my cup of tea, but hey basketball fan deserves to see the legends.