It’s a Mid-August Saturday and do you know what I heard on sports talk this morning while taking my wife to work? The NBA. YGBSM (You gotta be shitting me)!!! Let me clue the folks in on MadDog Radio on Sirius XM about what was going on last night:
NFL Preseason. Fridays lone game was Minnesota @ Seattle. For a pre-season game, this wasn’t bad.
- The Vikings were down 14-3 at half, but I couldn’t be disappointed. Bradford, Diggs, and Cook all seemed on point against a fired up Seattle defense and crowd. I might be a bit concerned about Cook seemingly slipping frequently. The defense was more than a bit of a concern and they need to really focus because they got somewhat torched. It’s like they were slow to adjust defenses to handle Seattle’s offense. It makes me wonder if Minny is behind the curve on developing it’s defense.
- For the second consecutive week, Seattle‘s offense seemed to do very well, and the defense was strong. Russell Wilson was 13-18 for 206 yards and two TD’s. Defense is about what you would expect, and they look good, but as usual, they have to woof – and that tells me they lack discipline – a valuable thing that will come back to haunt them later.
Here’s something the talking heads need to be yapping about, and that’s that the pre-season is far too long – it should only be two games.
MLB. Baseball has so many achievements on a given night and what do we hear from the talking heads? That’s right crickets. Here is a brief synopsis of what happened last night in five short bullets (not counting Sawx/Cranks).
- Manny Machado went absolutely nuts last night, smacking three home runs in a Baltimore win over Anaheim. I don’t care that these two teams may be “also rans”, the fact that a guy yaks three in a game is worthy of mention and outside of the sport update, what did we hear? Crickets.
- The Dodgers were already on a roll and are the deepest team in Baseball and last night they trade for Curtis Granderson?
- Byron Buxton of Minny was a single shy of the cycle last night in a 10-3 win over Arizona in a battle of wild card possible teams. Oh yeah, dude is hitting .464 in an eight game span.
- History was made last night when Albert Pujols hit his 609th Home Run – it not only tied him with Sammy Sosa for 8th all-time, it tied him with Sosa for #1 on the Home Run list by a foreign-born player.
- Seattle’s Nelson Cruz his a 482 foot Homer in Tampa, the longest in Tampa’s history.
I didn’t know Pujols was already 37 years old and I wonder how much more he has left in the tank. Can he get to 660 and tie Willie Mays for 5th all time?
And why all this negativity on what Giancarlo Stanton said about 62 HR’s? It’s a realistic goal, and it’s opinion – stop dumping on him!
Do you mean to tell me that there is absolutely NOTHING in MLB to talk about? Is that what you’re saying?
Little League World Series. You all know that I am absolutely against sensationalizing kids and using them to make money for a conglomerate such as ESPN.
But let me tell you what is right here – ESPN is going to have their Sunday Night Baseball game of the week between Pittsburgh and St. Louis in Williamsport!!! That’s right, an MLB regular season game will be played in Williamsport, PA in a stadium with a capacity of 2,366 – a game which will honor little league baseball. I think that’s absolutely outstanding and quite frankly, I’d like to see more of it around the country going forward. I’d love to see all teams play one game in a minor league stadium per year honoring little league. Hell, I’ll propose it here for Sacramento, have the Giants play a team and bring in little leaguers to watch.
- The Summer of our Youth. I don’t like Mike Lupica at all, I think he’s a self-absorbed pretentious New York windbag, but I took the time to read his article on Baseball (read here) and I’m glad I did. It’s a good read, and it takes me back to my time as a kid playing baseball wherever I could find a game.
I guess I could write about this, and I probably will, but for one night we honor the kids of Summer, the endless Summer Days playing ball, all the fun and the memories…past, current, and future…
College Football. We’re right around the corner to the first games being played and I hear nothing but SEC talk. News flash to the talking heads at ESPN – you may be the shill for the SEC, but the CLEMSON FREAKING TIGERS are the defending National Champions – give respect and start talking CFB outside of the SEC.
I have a special request for the Big Ten, ACC, PAC 12, and Big 12 – can you please once again be the National Champions and continue to beat the SEC? Holy Shit, ESPN cramming the SEC down everybody’s throats is particularly galling.
So in the end…You cannot tell me that there is so little going on that you have to spend a 20 minute monologue mindlessly droning on about the NBA and how LeBron is an evil genius and how Carmelo will never leave NYC because he loves it or discuss the dynamic of the Paul George/Russell Westbrook union in OKC – hell we already know all of that. It’s August people, there’s plenty going on around you in the sports world – stop being lazy, do some research, and go out and find the things going on.