First off, prayers out to all in Texas dealing with that devastating storm and 500 year flooding. Jeff, if you see this I hope all is well in your area.
I just want to go on record as saying Baseball may not have the flash of the races per se, but there really are some good things out there if you look hard enough.
Now that that is out of the way, onto MLB last week:
Last Week in Baseball. There wasn’t a lot of movement in the standings this week.
- AL East. Boston gave up half their lead and is now 2.5 games up on the Yankees.
- AL Central. Cleveland is slowly starting to pull away as they are now 6.5 games up on Minnesota, while Kansas City failed to score a run in their 3 game set w/Cleveland.
- AL West. Houston gained some ground back and now hold a pretty solid 13.5 game lead over Anaheim and Seattle
- AL Wild Card. Yankees now have a 3.5 game lead on the #1 spot while Minnesota now holds a 1.5 game lead for WC #2. Six teams are now within three games back of WC #2.
- NL East. Washington gave up 2.5 games this week and Miami is now 11.5 games back, but they have the PR momentum.
- NL Central. Chicago just keeps remaining two up over Milwaukee, while St. Louis fell another game back to 4.5 GB.
- NL West. LA is up 19 and it’s all she wrote.
- NL Wild Card. Arizona now has a 1.5 game lead for WC#1, while Colorado has a solid lead of 3.5 games on WC #2. Keep an eye on Miami who is closing fast and is now just 4.5 games back of WC#2.
While I’m at it:
- Jose Altuve is batting .356.
- What a week for G. Stanton whose now at 50 homers with 33 games left.
- Nolan Arenado and now Stanton have 108 RBIs each.
- Hamilton from Cincinnati has 54 stolen bases – a relatively high number of late.
- Byron Buxton of the Twins is having a heck of a run lately – on Sunday he hit three dingers in a single game.
This weeks schedule of important games in the early week Cleveland @ Yankees, Miami @ Washington in a critical matchup for Miami. In the tail end of the week: Boston @ Yankees (again already?), Kansas City @ Minnesota (Royals last chance in 2017), Washington @ Milwaukee, Arizona @ Colorado.
- As if the Dodgers didn’t need more help, Clayton Kershaw will be back in their rotation on Friday.