College Football has begun in earnest, so let’s take a look, shall we?
Alabama and Clemson are at a different level, so that’s not really worth talking about because we know they’re playing in January. It’s down to the other two openings:
- Anybody keeping an eye on Oklahoma? Who’d have thought this team would be #2 right about now?
- Penn State is #5 ranked and may move up after 56-0 thrashing they gave that powerhouse Georgia State.
- Washington is sitting at #6 and there are a few speed bumps along the way (Stanford and Wazzu), but man, these guys could be back.
But yesterday was a smack down of the hype teams and I’m so freaking glad:
- Can we all stop talking about Louisville being in the upper tier now? Is there a coach more overhyped than Bobby Petrino?
- USC had to go to two OT’s to beat a Texas team that has no defense? That tells me all I need to know about Trojan man. Well, that and it’s September and they slow start all the time.
- Yo, when did UCLA join the Big 12? That can be the only explanation because they play exactly ZERO defense – giving up 40+ against Texas A&M and now Memphis.
- Thank you Mississippi State for throwing the mother of all beat downs on yet another overhyped LSU team.
- I talked to the #1 Gator fan in the land (my brother) who told me that this no scoring shit is for the birds, but damn if they didn’t launch a Hail Mary and it was answered.
- Oklahoma State. Yawn – you did that against Pitt whose defense has more holes than swiss cheese. Problem is that until they get to Turkey Day they won’t have much of a challenge (Oklahoma) which really could have national playoff implications.
- Notre Dame. Hey Brian Kelly, don’t get too cocky – you did that against BC and it took a super human effort from one player at that. You didn’t look too sharp in the beginning.
- LSU and Ole Miss lose big and Florida don’t look good. Oh, and now I read that #15 Auburn only beat MERCER 24-10.
- I’m not gonna blast on you too hard because I saw what San Diego State can do two weeks ago, but still…
The “You gotta be shitting me” Department:
Meanwhile, what the hell has happened out in Nebraska? I’m not so bent that you lost to Northern Illinois, but this once proud program is in major trouble and I can’t figure how they are going to climb back.
I want to send this shout out to Fresno State. Fellas, I get you want to play a competitive schedule, but Alabama and Washington, in your two of you first three? Yeah that’s a lot of cash, but these kids still have a long way to go this season and they gotta be wondering what hit em in September. C’mon now…
Hey Nevada (Reno), are you really 0-3 with a loss to Idaho State? What the hell? Don’t make me come out there in two weeks…I’d rather be bowling and gambling, but if I have to throw a tantrum you won’t like it…C’mon now…WAKE THE HELL UP!!!
As for “props:”
Props to Oregon for actually having the stones to travel to a weak sister – going out to Wyoming to play a game. Props also to Wisky for going out to BYU. I can’t remember the last time a name team went to a lesser known team OOC.
I don’t care, I gotta do it – I’m gonna send some love out to Iowa State. They are 2-1 and this will probably be the highlight of the season, but so what. Let’s let the little guy have their moment.
Props to Stephen F. Austin, who in a 31-31 tie game with ten seconds left intercepted a hail mary pass and returned it 70 yards for a TD and the win. The player literally hurdled over the tacklers at the five yard line to cross the goal. And to their opponents, I get what you were trying to do but your QB throws a flea flicker into triple coverage?
But enough of these, I gotta brag of course. UC Davis took the one hour flight up to Portland to face Portland State and came away with a 37-14 win and go 2-1 in the young season. The kids blocked two punts, one for a TD – the other was a set up for a TD. All three phases of the game seemed strong with the QB throwing for 316. Next week they go to Weber State (2-1) for a matchup. I was supposed to go, but couldn’t, and I want to go to Salt Laker or wherever these guys next week are at, but I’ve got a commitment. Shit, I might have to fly down to Phoenix and drive to Flagstaff for that Northern Arizona game.