Welcome to Labor Day Weekend. Hey look, I know that Labor Day is “the end of the Summer.” To that I say BULLSHIT. It’s gonna be 110+ today out here and over the weekend. Let’s cut the retailer crap and just enjoy Summer for as long as it lasts. For me, it’s some marinated tri tip and BBQ beans while in the day time soliciting donations for the VFW.
First off, my annual salute to those who work so hard:
The lyrics are so true. So folks, I honor you. I sure hope you get a chance to enjoy a piece of the weekend.
It’s an exciting time here for me personally. If you’ll allow, please let me explain:
It is so funny because on Labor Day weekend the past two years, I have found unexpected employment. In 2018, I was offered a full-time job with what I consider incredible beneifts and I gratefully accepted. I’m very happy there – I’m doing something I believe in for an organization that I truly believe in, which in the past hasn’t always been the case.
So, how’s the world of sports since I’ve been gone a few days?
- I don’t think much of Sheldon Richardson as a person, but his football ability can’t be questioned, and now he gets traded from the New York Props to Seattle? You think that defense was tough before? This could be a record setting defense. The question is – can Richardson behave off the field?
- The Armchair Lawyers are all out there screaming about the rights of Ezekiel Elliott. Can I ask a question here as silly as it is? What about the rights of the young ladies (plural)? You know like the one whose top got pulled down by him? This dude needs to sit and the NFL needs to stand fast and send this kid a message that he can’t behave like this.
If Elliott gets away with this, he will be uncontrollable and something bad is going to happen with him, and in part Jerry Jones will be to blame – at least in the court of public opinion. Hey Jerry, when a kid is acting up, you sit him down to think about things. That’s parenting 101.
- Cleveland cut Brock Osweiler. Well, I guess we know that Cleveland is committed to youth, but they had better hope Kizer doesn’t get hurt.
- Was very sorry to read about Victor Cruz getting cut in Chicago. It is my hope that he can latch on somewhere. Keep your eye on New England?
- So Le’Veon Bell and Martavious Bryant are back in Pittsburgh, eh? Is it entirely possible that Pittsburgh could be the challenger to New England?
- Hey Kansas City, what the hell are you doing about that offense? Find some playmakers.
CFB. My son is the Outside LB coach for University of California Davis and the new staffs first game at the D-1 (Non-power five) level is today as they go down and face San Diego State tonight. I so wish I could be there, but I have a veterans commitment this weekend that I made long before this game.
Much has been made of the 10th anniversary of Appalachian State’s upset of Miss-again (err, Michigan) in the Big House. And yeah, it’s football history, but the fact is that it was the one time that David beat Goliath, and I absolutely LOVED it. I am hoping for one of those upsets this year.
But then again, my son’s team has scheduled games against Stanford and Cal in the future, so maybe that could be it. It sure wouldn’t be the first time Davis has beat Stanford…
MLB. Clayton Kershaw is back and that can only be good news for the suddenly reeling Los Angeles Dodgers. Well, that and they’re playing San Diego.
Tennis. Maria Sharapova is back and has gotten through the first week of the U. S. Open – as a Wild Card entry. Good on her. Memo to everybody: Leave her alone.
I’ll be back tomorrow to talk about CFB and maybe have some NFL picks. Enjoy the weekend, or as my friend Beeze would say “Have a weekend.” A nice long one.